Thursday, May 5, 2016

The Lamb


John 1:29-30;

    'The next day [John the Baptizer] saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, "Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! This is he of whom I said, 'After me comes a man who ranks before me, because he was before me.' (John 1:29-30, ESV)

The lamb isn't just an image of a cute fluffy animal. In those days a lamb had a very specific purpose, especially one that has come to take on sin. You see, lambs were used for sacrifice. It was a bloody business. They were taken to the temple and slaughtered on the altar. Every Jewish family understood what it was all about. The lamb was selected from the stock, because it was the best of the best. It had no spots or blemishes. It was young and fresh. At Passover time, it even lived in the house as a pet. When the time came, the lamb was carried to the temple on dad's shoulders, and given to the priest. It was killed for the sake of the family. The family said prayers of thanksgiving that God would accept a substitute for their sin. All of this comes to mind when John calls Jesus the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world. Jesus, too, is handed over to the priests. He is slaughtered on the cross. He bears the sin of the whole world. John's message of forgiveness is for you. Jesus Christ was your sacrifice for sin. You can be thankful that God accepted his sacrifice for you.


Let us pray: Just as I am and waiting not To rid my soul of one dark blot, To Thee, whose blood can cleanse each spot, O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment